Frequently Asked Questions
Standard Transparent Burglar Bars
1. What are the ViewProtect bars made of?
The ViewProtect bar is made out of a thermoplastic called Polycarbonate.
2. How strong is it, it looks like Perspex?
Polycarbonate is a very clear polymer with exceptionally high levels of impact strength and is one of the toughest transparent sheets available and has a tensile breaking strength of 3 000kg.
The cockpit canopy of the F-22 Raptor jet fighter is made from a piece of high optical quality polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is also used for riot shields, bulletproof windows and enclosures as seen inside banks or at a drive-through.
When the burglar bars are exposed to repeated heavy blows, the material tends to cold form rather than shatter.
3. Is it UV stable? Won't it fade or turn yellow as a result of light exposure?
ViewProtect polycarbonate is protected with a UV protection on both sides, ensuring resistance against the harmful rays of the sun.
4. Is there a warranty?
There is a 10 year manufacturer warranty. “The warranty entails that the polycarbonate bars will not stain under normal circumstances and if cleaned according to the recommendations.”
5. Does it scratch easily?
Polycarbonate is susceptible to scratching and care must be taken to prevent this during installation and cleaning. ViewProtect has a specially designed VP Cleaning Kit to prevent unnecessary damage during cleaning.
6. What is the ideal application of the product?
This product has got many uses, the main one being a clear security barrier. The fact that it is transparent and very strong makes it an ideal security bar where you want to protect yourself and your view.
7. What is the recommended span of this product?
Due to the flexibility of the product do we not recommend that you span more than 1meter. If longer lengths are required, a cross section must be installed. For more information see our installation instructions.
8. How far apart do I install the burglar bars?
The burglar bars must be spaced close enough to prevent an intruder from twisting the burglar bar and entering between two burglar bars. It is therefore important that the bars needs to be tensioned to prevent any twisting and flexing of bars. For more information see our installation instructions.
9. It seems very flexible to me, how does this characteristic affect the performance of the product?
The flexibility of the product is part of its strength and this flexibility allows the force to be spread out over a larger area. It is also difficult to wedge the burglar bars from its attachment due to this characteristic.
10. What is the weakest point of this product?
The weakest point of any burglar bar installation is the attachment to the window or wall. Care must be taken to fix the ViewProtect bars properly to the window or square tubing. ViewProtect has developed an AluRail system that will improve the fixing strength of the bars.
11. Can you guarantee that no one will be able to enter through a window where ViewProtect bars have been installed?
No guard or security barrier is 100% burglar proof, this product is no exception. Burglar bars are installed to prevent easy access or delay entry to a property. The burglar has to make a noise to enter and this gives the inhabitants time to respond on the early warning.
12. How skilled do I need to be to install the standard burglar bars?
One unique feature of the ViewProtect standard bars is ease of installation, enabling any person capable of handling a standard drill to install the burglar bars. No special training is necessary and user friendly installation procedure is included in package.
13. How do I clean the transparent burglar bars?
The transparent security bars must be cleaned with the "VP Cleaning Kit" available from ViewProtect. A nonabrasive household detergent with a clean soft damp cloth can also be used for cleaning.
14. Why should I use ViewProtect bars in place of ordinary burglar bars?
View – ViewProtect bars are transparent and will protect you and your family without spoiling your view.
Protect – ViewProtect bars will give you the same protection as any standard steel burglar bars
Maintenance – ViewProtect is rust free and needs no maintenance
Look – ViewProtect is the latest in burglar bar technology and provides your home with a more modern, up market appearance.
15. Why use ViewProtect bars if I have an alarm system?
- ViewProtect bars will provide you with 24/7 protection.
- ViewProtect provides you with added protection if your alarm/electricity fails.
- A small number of people activate their alarm systems when they are at home.
- ViewProtect bars are a physical barrier that will stop or delay an intruder.
- ViewProtect will give you peace of mind and will provide you with some very valuable time, allowing you to respond to the danger of potential intruders.
- There are no monthly instalment fees!